17 May 21, 15:49 PM » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Matope

Please login or register.

Author Topic: [SWP1] (Bruise Sweet and Once Forgotten) Found Eggs  (Read 685 times)

Wyrm

• 255 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Wyrm
    • View Profile
  • Discord Name: Ambitious #7515
  • Post count 1: You Posted! Post count 1: You Posted! : Earned for posting at least 1 time.
    Post count 10: Chatty! Post count 10: Chatty! : Earned for posting at least 10 times.
    Post count 100: Talkative! Post count 100: Talkative! : Earned for posting at least 100 times.
[SWP1] (Bruise Sweet and Once Forgotten) Found Eggs
« on: July 23, 2019, 01:03:41 AM »
{alt}
The caiman's teeth sunk deep into flesh, and Bruise screamed.

The shrill sound echoed through the swamp, and if Bruise hadn't been scared out of his wits he would have probably been amused at how high his voice could apparently go. Unfortunately, there was a far more pressing issue at hand. His sudden desire to follow a trail to the bank of the river had suddenly resulted in an attack, the caiman appearing out of the water lightning-quick and ambushing the unsuspecting buck while he stood too close to the water. If he had realized that the water was as deep as it was, he would have stayed further from the edge, but Bruise didn't quite yet have the hang of assessing water sources. That was something, he promised himself, that would absolutely change the second he got out of this mess. If he got out of this mess, that is...

In actuality, Bruise wasn't in any danger of actually dying, at least, not yet. The caiman had latched firmly onto one of Bruise's front legs, and was, from all appearances, very reluctant to let go. At closer inspection, it looked like the caiman was young, just like Bruise, and had bitten off more than it could chew - literally. She was not nearly big enough to actually drag Bruise into the water, as Bruise was a hefty, butch buck, regardless of his youth. But the caiman wasn't a quitter, and stubbornly hung on, jerking backwards in the vain hope that the buck would trip and fall in. Bruise yelped in pain with every attempt, and tried to kick his attacker with his other front leg, but he couldn't find the leverage to attempt a strong enough hit, afraid as he was of falling.

They were stuck in a stalemate.

Ruriska

• 1697 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Ruriska
    • View Profile
  • Legendary Kin Legendary Kin : Earned by having at least one Legendary kin!
    Kin Count: 200 Kin Count: 200 : Earned by receiving your 200th kin.
    Dream Writer Dream Writer : Earned by writing at least one Naming Dream!
    Puzzle Champ Puzzle Champ : Earned by being the FIRST to complete any forum Puzzle Hunt!
Re: [SWP1] (Bruise Sweet and Once Forgotten) Found Eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 04:22:32 AM »
{alt}
Once Forgotten was heading towards home when he heard a shriek of fear and pain. It ran down his spine as a shiver, every hair standing on end. Ears up and alert, his head swivelled in the direction it had come from. There was no hesitation as strong muscles launched him off the ground, setting him into a full gallop through the swamp.

He reached the river's edge with a thundering of hooves, skidding to a muddy halt before he could tumble into the water. A yelp turned his head towards the right, his body followed and Once Forgotten raced towards the stricken Kimeti male. A caiman attack!

“I’m coming!” He boomed.

And then he was there, hardly assessing the situation beyond ‘stop the caiman!’ blasting in his mind. His own safety was not a concern. There was someone in need and he would help them. Once Forgotten had always been a brawns over brain sort of fellow and raising children and the passing years still hadn’t changed that.

He went into the situation hooves first, entering the water with a big spray and striking out at the caiman.

Wyrm

• 255 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Wyrm
    • View Profile
  • Post count 1: You Posted! Post count 1: You Posted! : Earned for posting at least 1 time.
    Post count 10: Chatty! Post count 10: Chatty! : Earned for posting at least 10 times.
    Post count 100: Talkative! Post count 100: Talkative! : Earned for posting at least 100 times.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 06:17:47 AM »
By this point Bruise had quite forgotten that he had issued a rather piercing call for help, and was not at all expecting help from any quarter. Once Forgotten's appearance, therefore, surprised him as much as it did the caiman. The caiman responded by finally detaching herself from Bruise's limb and turning to face her new opponent, snapping fiercely at the older buck's legs and attempting to avoid his blows. Bruise, however, responded by letting out another loud screech, this one slightly more muted, and finally tumbling into the water.

Thankfully, the caiman was too busy dealing with the Kiokote to attack the injured buck once again, and Bruise managed to stand up, now soaking wet. His leg hurt terribly, and he didn't want to look at it and see the damage the sharp teeth caused. He had the vaguest idea of what was going on, and with the immense amount of splashing going on he could barely make out his rescuer. One thing was for sure -  he couldn't leave his savior to fight the vicious beast alone.

Letting out a fierce (or so he hoped) bellow that was, thankfully, much lower and therefore suitable for a buck his size, Bruise charged the caiman from the other side of the Kiokote, adding to the splashing with his own attack on the caiman.

Ruriska

• 1697 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Ruriska
    • View Profile
    Puzzle Champ Puzzle Champ : Earned by being the FIRST to complete any forum Puzzle Hunt!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 08:18:11 AM »
The water was deeper than Once Forgotten had expected, his hooves sinking into the mud and sucking him in place. Not that it stopped him from rearing, digging him further into the muck as he lashed out. His hooves struck at the caiman, determinedly trying to cave its head in even while it turned to snap at him.

Once Forgotten snorted his approval of the bucks choice of action, their combined attack would be enough to drive the beast away! Water was everywhere, splashing up into his nose and eyes, soaking him. As he came down for another strike, something hit him hard in the shoulder. It threw him off balance and he face-planted the water before finding his hooves and shoving himself upright with a pained gasp. Ow!

The fight isn’t over, Once!

Trying to blink the water from his eyes, Once Forgotten thought he caught another glimpse of scales and lashed out before it could take a bite out of him... hitting something a lot more fleshy instead.

And somewhere downriver one wise caiman was making a quick getaway from all the ruckus.

Wyrm

• 255 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 10:28:18 AM »
The water splashing everywhere left Bruise lashing out with his eyes closed and his head turned away from the action. The first inkling that he should perhaps try and see what, exactly, was going on came when he felt his hooves strike a disproportionately large amount of air. Feeling a bit uncertain, Bruise slowed his attack, but not before his unscathed leg came in contact with something much larger than a caiman.

Realizing something was awry, Bruise attempted to shout out an elucidating remark (perhaps something along the lines of "Wait, who am I hitting?"), but it was too late. The Kiokote retaliated with a blow of his own, thankfully tempered in strength by the general confusion, and Bruise again crashed head-first into the water, this time, at least, mercifully silent.

This time around the buck was a bit more cognizant of his surroundings, allowing him to come to the conclusion: "Hey, I think the caiman's gone!"

Ruriska

• 1697 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Ruriska
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 04:47:00 AM »
It was only when the other buck tumbled back into the water that Once Forgotten took a second to think. He went completely still except for his big heaving breaths, dripping, blinking away the water and squinting as the purple-y fellow he’d just helped knock over found his own hooves.

“I think you’re right,” he sighed, giving his head a big shake and sending droplets flying.

“The caiman might come back. Quickly now. You need to get out.” The Kiokote started backing up out of the river, a bigger effort than he had expected. He’d dug himself quite deep into the mud but turning around wasn’t an option. He wanted to keep an eye on the water to make sure the fierce beast didn’t return.

“I apologize,” he grunted out, as he went awkwardly backed his way up the riverbank. “I hope I didn’t hurt you.”

Wyrm

• 255 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 05:49:39 AM »
Bruise nodded, realizing the soundness of the other's advice. "You're right, let's get out while we can."

Bruise was not mired quite as deep in the mud, but he moved at much the same speed due to his injured leg. He hadn't noticed the pain as much in the heat of battle, but now that the adrenaline was wearing off he moved the injured limb with a lot more care while following his companion.

"No, not at all! Besides, I think I must have hit you first in the confusion." Remembering what started the aforementioned confusion, Bruise turned his head towards the Kiokote: "Oh, and I haven't even thanked you yet! You truly saved me back there - that dreadful creature was already in the process of mauling me when you arrived, and without your assistance I'm sure I wouldn't be standing here." Finally reaching the bank, Bruise carefully clambered up, hissing in pain when pulling himself up with his front legs. "And to think it all started with me simply finding a couple of eggs..."

Ruriska

• 1697 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Ruriska
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 07:35:22 AM »
The satisfaction of having saved someone was a warm glow his chest, though quickly eclipsed by a rush of fatherly instincts. “Ah! We must see to your wounds as soon as possible.” He was certainly experienced when it came to bumps, cuts, bruises and bites. His children had been a rambunctious bunch. System Shock especially had tried to fight everything he saw, from logs to very toothy animals. 

“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine,” he assured with a smile, finally stepping out of the water. “And what was that about eg-”

Crunch!

Once Forgotten froze, and then cautiously stepped again.

Crunch!

He cleared his throat.

“Please tell me that was some very big leaves.”

Wyrm

• 255 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 12:08:08 PM »
Bruise heaved a sigh of relief. "Oh, you know how to treat this? What a relief! I'll admit that I was a bit perturbed when wondering what to do about it - I've never had a caiman try to take a chunk out of me before!" Goodness, it felt like this older buck was sent by the Swamp herself! He was so brave! So knowledgeable! So -

Crunch!

Bruise slowly turned his head. One lone egg rolled in a lazy meander down the grass, coming to a stop at his feet.

"I'm... afraid not."

Ruriska

• 1697 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Ruriska
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 02:01:41 AM »
Once Forgotten slowly eased away from the sight of destruction and turned to look upon the work of careless hooves.

“Ah... darn... well, that’s a shame.” He frowned, sad for the eggs and whatever parent had lost their young (possibly that caiman, in which case he wasn’t so sad). But also, well... they couldn’t even be eaten now and that was a terrible waste.

“In any case, yes I have experience with caiman bites. When I was younger, I came to the Swamp from the plains and knew nothing about what could lurk in the water. My siblings and I had many unfortunate encounters. And when my son was young, he tried to headbutt one out of sheer stupidity. So don’t worry.”

He wiped egg yolk from his back hooves.

Looking at the last egg nestled at Bruise’s hooves made him grimace guiltily. “What do we do with that one?”

Wyrm

• 255 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 03:50:25 AM »
"Yes, a shame..." echoed Bruise, feeling inexplicably responsible. His concern for the eggs was quickly overshadowed by his relief at his companion's experience with his particular malady, and he brightened once again. "Then I would greatly appreciate your help and expertise! I think there's a small clearing just a little ways off from here, and it has a small brook nearby that I'm almost sure is free of caimans."

"As for the egg..." Carefully nudging it with his muzzle, Bruise painstakingly returned it to its nest. After a few seconds of deliberation, he pushed out the remains of its unlucky neighbors.

The egg silently judged Bruise, now sitting in the messy nest.

"...Let's leave it at that."

Ruriska

• 1697 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Ruriska
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 07:12:33 AM »
Once Forgotten stood staring at the egg sitting alone in the nest. The single survivor of a devastating attack.

He wished it well.

It would have a hard future.

"Very well then,” he said, looking away, no longer wishing to deal with the uncomfortable amount of guilt over leaving the fragile little egg alone after he’d crushed the rest of them.

“By the way, my name is Once Forgotten,” the Kiokote introduced himself as he started walking away, forcing good cheer into his voice and pushing aside any thoughts of The Egg Incident. “Come along and we’ll fix up that wound!”

Wyrm

• 255 pebbles
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To Wyrm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 01:18:55 AM »
Bruise started to follow, but hesitated, throwing back one last guilty glance. He would, um...

The egg stared back, uncaring.

Bruise turned away, trying to focus on his companion. He trotted faster to catch up, limping slightly, the scene of the crime slowly disappearing behind them. "Thank you so much, Once Forgotten! And my name is Bruise Sweet, but just call me Bruise!"