14 Nov 19, 16:05 PM » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?


Matope

Please login or register.



Author Topic: Occult Grove Prompt  (Read 614 times)

Tiarana

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 11:25:16 AM »
Rolling!
Rolled 3d10 : 4, 6, 4, total 14

anemosagkelos

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 11:35:43 AM »
Rolled 3d10 : 1, 7, 3, total 11

Kinu

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 11:47:36 AM »
Rolling for prompts! c:

Rolled 3d10 : 10, 2, 5, total 17

Kinu

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 12:08:14 PM »


A walk was all he'd wanted. To meditate on his feeling of unease. Unfortunately it led him to a place he had never been before. The mangroves here felt old, very old. This part of the swamp smelled of very musty earth, damp, roots.. it felt both familiar and alien. Dangerous in some way he could sense but not fathom.

Old Ways felt a chill in the air.. and he knew it wasn't just the crisp autumn night winds. Someone was approaching, a kin? Yes. But strange. Maybe it was their scent, or the energy in the air. A gathering of family. An invitation? Perhaps not the strangest request but still a bit odd this deep in the swamp and so randomly. He didn't care for the way the kin was blocking him. He eyed them carefully, something about the way they moved, spoke, and that persistance. To anyone who may not have felt the unease they may have assumed this individual was simply anxious to make friends, to have more guests at their party but Ways didn't think that was why at all. Something about this kin caused the fur at his nape to bristle.

Stepping to the side the light caught the others fur just so and even in the war between light and darkness he could see it blood. Their fur told a tale of slaughter. Though from what he could not say. Perhaps a hunt, of what he also could not say. The wind changed then and that's when the smell hit him. Burnt fur, smoke, and once again the confirmation of blood. Too much blood. Ways eyes slid up to regard the Kin coldly. Perhaps he was being led into a trap, perhaps he was mean't to add to the blood on this creatures pelt. Ways could hold his own. He may have been an older buck but he was by no means weak, Kiokote were muscle and speed. He was no exception. And he had to know if some innocent Kin needed help. How could he turn away?

"All right strange one.. let us join this celebration of yours."

Pebbles & access granted by blue!

Lirilei

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 12:17:36 PM »
(click to show/hide)

  Leaf Trader had been happily exploring and searching for new leaves for his bustling leaf trading business he had. If one could call it a business, but it kept him busy and happy so who was he to complain, really? So caught up was he that he truly lost track of time, the sun sinking and the sliver of moon that had risen barely enough to give light.

It was when he heard a voice calling out to him had him start paying attention to where he was, a mysterious portion of the swamp he'd never seen it felt like, and he wondered just how far he'd wandered in his searching. His thoughts were pulled from that though as he listened intently to what this mysterious kin was saying. They seemed so friendly, how nice! Maybe they'd want to trade leaves with him, them and their family! It seemed as if the stars were aligning perfectly to get some good trades in. Still, he declined, because it was dark and he was unfamiliar with the area. He didn't want to get anymore turned around than he already was.

Somehow, he found himself following along. Probably because despite his insistence he couldn't, and wouldn't go, he was also slightly curious and itching for some trading! As he followed along, he was wondering what sort of interesting leaves they might have for trade when he realized the path they were walking was very dark, and very over grown. He was doing his best to pick out little markers as they went but it was soon too dark, too over grown and he wondered if he'd be able to find his way back out, he was almost certain he could. Right? He shuffled a little in his walking, hooves dragging a tiny bit, growing more reluctant.

Maybe he was just being silly, he tried to assure himself. Surely, nothing bad was going to happen. Despite the strange smells and noises he could hear. The buck was growing jumpy, that was for sure. So much so that everything this mysterious kin was saying and doing screamed deceit and deception.

Was that really a friendly smile? Or were they instead smirking a little, because a new victim visitor was being lured into this trap strange place. The darkness was playing tricks on him, it sounded like noises were all around them, which was impossible right? It was so overgrown that he could feel the raking of branches and brambles along his hide, a few digging deeper than others, and the words offered in comfort seemed false to him now.

He was starting to think maybe, just maybe, he didn't want to trade leaves with this kin and their family anymore. But, he was already so far in, that he didn't think he could easily turn himself around without perhaps getting hopelessly tangled up. Eaten by the brambles! his mind yelped at him, and that was the last thing he wanted. Now he wished he'd never given in and followed along, the lure of new leaves or not this wasn't worth it!

520 words

Pebbles & access granted by Corn

anemosagkelos

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »
{alt}
She's looking for her brother when the stranger approaches. It's a zikwa and, instantly, it begins to invite her to a celebration.

"Excuse me," she starts and is instantly interrupted.

The words guest and celebration bleed together as it insists time and time again that she should come along. She doesn't like it and she can't quite pin down why it has her all tentative and hesitant. It sounds polite enough and it looks altogether the same as her. She bites her cheek; perhaps, she is just unused to the attention? Guidance is stunning and beautiful and impossible not to look at when they are together. She has a habit of melting into the background; the colors of her pelt are muted and subdued and naturally camouflage her against the swamp. Yes, she thinks, that must be it. The zikwa is simply so insistent on inviting her that she feels awkward and unsure. How silly of her!

"Thank you for the," the word invitation sticks in her throat as she starts to allow the zikwa to lead her forward because it suddenly seems as though midnight has arrived.

It wasn't this dark a moment ago, was it? She hadn't noticed it being so late. Surely, it was only mid-morning when she came by. The darkness is unexpected and she starts to fidget. Did the zikwa glow so brightly before? Each step makes her question her mind and her surroundings. She stops; she should turn back, she decides. And as she does, the zikwa seems to crowd her into movement. They shuffle this way and that and soon she has no idea which way is which. She swallows hard and cannot bring herself to turn around. It's so dark now and only the zikwa seems to be lit at all. She might get lost if she turns away. And so she follows, steps sluggish and unsure. There's no reason to be afraid of the dark, she reminds herself.

The zikwa comes closer, a smile that is too forced etched upon its mouth. It looses a breath and then its lips part to show gritted teeth that are discouraging to say the least. It insists that she move faster.

The voice is rough, now, as though it is not often used or perhaps it is overcoming a sickness. It's not unpleasant but it's also a touch alarming in the way it makes her ears flinch and hackles raise. A moment ago the voice was so kind and sweet. The friendliness starts to ebb and she doesn't want to go on but she's too far now. It begins to mock her fear and she can only nervously laugh. She doesn't want it to know that it is right. That she is afraid. Each step heightens her fear.

The place, the time, the zikwa... Something is wrong.

And yet, there is no where to go but forward. She could be lost forever otherwise.

Everything will be fine, surely. It's just a celebration and she's a guest, after all.

But it's wrong...

Pebbles & access granted by blue!

Naberius

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 06:13:20 PM »
[Using prompts 6, 7, 8]

{alt}

Red Sky at Night adored exploring the new paths and groves that the fall season seemed to have opened up in the swamp. There was just such an... Atmosphere to it all. Between the cool air and the falling leaves, the surrounding kin taking on such macabre costumes - at least, he was pretty sure most of them were costumes - he was in an excellent mood. Meaning the inky dark of the occult grove was more of an inviting adventure than the risk it undoubtedly would have registered as otherwise.

Perhaps not in a cheery enough mood to join along in a stranger's dinner, however. A stranger had waved him down to make small talk and he had been more than happy to swap stories and chatter about the wetland's sudden change until then. Everything about their invitation struck him as rather odd. He may have been a stranger himself to the swamp, having been born in the desert, but he was rather certain that an invitation to one's home so soon after meeting was considered a little forward. Especially such an unrelenting invitation - the stranger had barely given him time to react before chattering on as though he had accepted, slowly walking off towards what he could only assume was their "family gathering" with a little skip in their step.

As he jogged along to explain to the stranger that no, really, he'd really rather not join for dinner, he's got plans and will be quite busy actually, the severe darkness of the grove began to gnaw at him. It was no longer a mysterious shroud hiding fun new kin to chat up or festival games with prizes to be won - it was oppressive and obscuring, hiding both where he had come from and where he was going. He could barely see his own hooves beneath him as he entered, for Motherfather's sake. The stranger reassured him that there was no way they could get lost; the glow upon their hide would lead the way. But as they edged towards the grove, he noticed that it was although there was no light coming from them at all - the stranger was swallowed by the darkness the moment they stepped in. But any pleas to the stranger to remain at the entrance, or at least away from this grove, anything, really, were met with yet another dismissive platitude and yet another invitation to their family's celebration. They appeared entirely unphased by the yelling he eventually resorted to - not out of anger, really, more curiosity and mild fear at this point - replying with only a polite and toothy smile.

...An entirely too toothy smile.

His stomach sank at the sight, the realization of what he had gotten himself into dawning on him. This stranger was not just a lonely kin looking for someone to accompany them to a celebration. They were not just pushy or stubborn or anything of the sort. They were looking for someone, and he was going to be that someone if he wanted to be or not. That smile would make sure of it.

Red Sky at Night was silent for the rest of their walk.

Pebbles & access granted by blue!

Tiarana

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
{alt}
What attracted Swamp Gas to the area in the first place were the screams. Some were high-pitched; others, hoarse and desperate. Screams in the night in the swamp were not terribly remarkable in themselves. Numerous swamp wildlife, most notably owlcats, screamed in the darkness often enough that most kin learned to ignore such unsettling noises. No, what drew Swamp Gas's attention was the quantity of voices. This wasn't a pair of owlcats or a lynx having an existential crisis. This was either a tortured mob or a really interesting party.

Swamp Gas found himself standing in front of a deep, black grove of trees. There was no obvious entrance, but the underbrush was so thick and the night so dark that he could not say for certain that there was no secret way in. Either way, he did not especially relish charging in with no idea what was on the other side. Swamp Gas was no coward, but the ambience was disturbing.

"Hello, stranger," a sibilant voice hissed near his ear, startling him. "Would you like to come...and meet...my family?"

Swamp Gas headbutted that guy right in the face. You don't sneak up on Swamp Gas. The ghastly whisper broke him out of the gloom and restored his usual bravado.

"Yes," Swamp Gas said, eying the stranger. There was blood on the kin's legs, and Swamp Gas had a bad feeling about where things were going. "I suppose I would." With that, he turned and strode confidently into the grove.

Pebbles & access granted by blue!

SilverShieldwolf

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 11:31:49 PM »
Rolling first
Rolled 3d10 : 1, 8, 3, total 12

lolternative

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2019, 12:06:01 AM »
{alt}
The invitation seemed innocent enough but there was something that made the hair on the nape of Be A Dear's neck stand up. He could not quite put his hoof on it, but he knew for certain that he did not want to go to their celebration or meet their family.

"I'm sorry, I have other commitments I must attend to," he politely declined and turned to exit, when one of them circled around to cut him off.

"Come on," it said, so sweetly Dear felt sticky. "It really is a great party. Nothing can be more important than this."

Be A Dear's brow furrowed and he took a few steps away from the zikwa. Maybe the party wouldn't be as bad as he thought.. Perhaps it was just his nervous nature getting the better of him. His ears pricked and in the distance he heard cries. They did not sound like the cries of someone enjoying a celebration, too abruptly cut short. But maybe he was mistaken? His heart was beating heavily in his chest, the sound echoing in his mind - perhaps that was distorting sound.

"Shall we head to the party?" Another came close to him now, breath on his face snapping him to reality. The proximity brought with it a new warning sign. Nostrils flared as the unmistakable scent of blood wafted from the zikwa. Smoke and something else he couldn't quite make out mingled. He wanted to step away, to run, but they had boxed him in.

There was no choice. Perhaps the celebrations would distract them enough to give him a chance to leave.

"Let's go."


Pebbles & access granted by blue!

SilverShieldwolf

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2019, 01:38:18 AM »
Twisted Dream went into the grove to figure what was going on in his own life. Lost in thought, the zikwa startled him back to present. "What?"
"Come visit my family! We must go." Twisted was not sure if he really wanted to go, yet no matter how many times he tried to turn around the zikwa was right there, pushing him deeper towards the grove. Insistent little buggers. "Lead the way." And let there be no tricks. Their endless chatter and pushing him forward started to get on the buck's nerves. Something felt off to him with all of it. Did they say, have you for the celebration dinner? He looked closer as they walked, but they kept turning him around with the chatter. Tricks, they are up to something. I can take them on if the need arises.

A few dozen steps of following them, Twisted felt like he seen something extra in their mouths. Extra teeth? Were those pointed?! A quick glance down at his back hooves seemed to show some marks, but that could have just been from the travels to the groove its self. It would be understandable. Helping them survive in this area. His tail twitched, with each step closer and his unease, but respect for them, continued to grow. He kept his eyes one them as best he could while the darkness enclosed them more. Don't show you are nervous. You want to find out what they have going on.

Pebbles & access granted by blue!

lolternative

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2019, 02:28:15 AM »
Rolling for Bash.

Rolled 3d10 : 2, 4, 9, total 15

lolternative

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2019, 02:40:24 AM »
{alt}
Bash had to investigate the strange occurances in the swamp. It was his tribe's duty - even if, so far, he was the only member. The place gave even him the creeps but he needed answers and to make sure everyone was safe and well; that there was nothing nefarious going on. He heard the strange cries in the distance before he saw the zikwa encircle him; cries of pain, of life cut off. He was not one to shy away from eating meat but there was something cruel about the screams.

"We're having a celebration, that's all," one of the zikwa cooed, bringing his attention to them.
"We would love it if you would join us," a second chimed and the others nodded in unison.

Bash faltered as his vision adjusted to the light; or lack their of. Blood. More than he'd ever seen at a hunt. It was overkill, plain and simple. He suppressed the chill that threatened to dance along his spine and swallowed hard. Someone needed help but he was not yet prepared to offer it. He needed more information. The cries again and he glanced at the skies for a brief moment. The stars blinked brightly as if urging him on. He could not forget his code of honour. Despite his gut screaming at him to turn back, it was his duty to help those in need.

He smiled. "I would be honoured to join you."

Repeat play! No pebbles granted.

Matope

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2019, 10:26:22 AM »
@Tiarana
The zikwa scurried ahead to lead the buck through the grove, whining all the way. "Owwwww, you don't have to be so rude. I just wanted to invite you to a party! What'd you have to go and hit me for??" Now he'd have to deal with that the whole trip.

Pigxels

Re: Occult Grove Prompt
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 05:09:05 PM »
Rolled 3d10 : 9, 6, 10, total 25

Roly Poly!