[Bless]Thoroughly Underprepared and Overwhelmed (Destroy and Sow & Real Big Fish)

All in character interactions and roleplays.
LOLLI qAq
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 943.96 Pebbles
Kin Journal: https://matope-swamp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=863

[Bless]Thoroughly Underprepared and Overwhelmed (Destroy and Sow & Real Big Fish)

Post by LOLLI qAq »

It was a classic story- Girl meets boy. Girl spends a lovely evening with boy. Girl goes on her merry way in search of more boys. It should have ended there. Destroy and Sow had been so sure that it had ended there and yet- AND YET she was starting to suspect that was not the case. She'd felt more ravenous in recent days, and restless. So restless that she was now on a walk under a heavy moon; hunting for a small midnight snack.

In trying to ignore the feeling of heavy stones that had settled in her middle Destroy was fantasizing about meeting a handsome stranger in the night. She vainly liked to think she cut a striking figure in the moonlight and wondered what kind of kin would be drawn to her at this hour.
Last edited by LOLLI qAq on Mon May 08, 2023 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 139
Scaramouche Fandango
Legendary
Legendary
Pebbles: 2,553.12 Pebbles

Forum

[Bless]Thoroughly Underprepared and Overwhelmed (Destroy and Sow & ??)

Post by Scaramouche Fandango »

She may have wanted a handsome stranger, but what she was getting was a bear. A small bear, smelling of damp and fish, trundling up to her with a salmon half its size in its mouth. (It was a big salmon, and a small bear.)

The bear stared up at her, eyes glowing gold. Fish loved this shape. It was always good fun to see how kin reacted to her animal forms- and their gut reaction was always useful for figuring out what they needed as a blessing.
word count: 88
LOLLI qAq
Patron
Patron

Post by LOLLI qAq »

She blinked. Then blinked a dozen or more times. Her eyesight wasn't great, but nope ... that was most definitely a bear in front of her.
"Do bear's eyes normally glow?" The thought left her mouth before she could stop it. "I haven't met any other bears so I really don't know. Forgive me if that's rude to ask."

Destroy was talking more to herself than the bear, but she still looked at it expectantly.
word count: 79
Scaramouche Fandango
Legendary
Legendary

Forum

"Not normally, but I'm not your average bear," said a massive Totoma as Fish flowed back into her standard shape. Were one to describe her since her little chat with the Motherfather, the word "mountainous" might come to mind. Or perhaps "indestructable." Or if one lived in a strange alternate dimension where kin used a thing called a brick to construct a hollow mound with an odd name, "built like a brick house."

She towered without looming, imposed without imposing. She simply was, and now it was the salmon's turn to look small. "There's not much rude you could ask me," she said, chuckling. "Auntie Fish has heard everything. Some of it from her own family! So tell me, my glowing friend. There's a story here about something else unknown- not just bears. What's troubling you?"
word count: 141
LOLLI qAq
Patron
Patron

Post by LOLLI qAq »

Three thoughts fired off in Destroy's head in rapid succession.
One- Whoa.
Two- Oh, dang.
Three- Hey, Auntie. How you doing?

All three were painfully clear on her face.

"I love the idea of having kids. My parents were real great, and I know I'm cool," she paused as she thought about how she wanted to phrase the next part.
"This was not ... a planned outcome. If you get my meaning."

Of course she knew these things typically weren't, but what if- "What if they come out all wrong? Or I overdo it and, for lack of a better way of saying it, I cramp their style?"
word count: 110
Scaramouche Fandango
Legendary
Legendary

Forum

Not a single one of Fish's pregnancies had ever started with "Hm, I want to have kids with you." Rather, it was a whole mindset of "kids would be awesome" and one of several extremely attractive bucks at the Winter Market. And it had worked great, because Fish only knew one way of being; being Fish.

"You know, I've seen kin plan out their families for years and then things go belly up at the last minute. Plans and pregnancy might go along, but plans and parenthood? Trust me, there's not a foal in the swamp who's followed their parents plans perfectly. Nor a lamb in the mountains, or the desert or the plains or the caves. Kids take one look at a plan and sprint in the other direction. So don't worry! What's important is flexibility in the now, and being able to adapt when they come along. And for that..."

She thought a moment. What was the unifying factor in successful parentage? "The most important thing is being true to yourself. Kids aren't smart, but they aren't dumb, either. There's no way that either you or them will be perfect- there's a line you have to find between being timid and bold. You can't shy away from everything; you're not a dragonfly, so don't hover over them. But if you're gonna keep them around, you'll have a better time if you give yourself grace. Let yourself mess up, and show them how to pick up the pieces and start over. Kids are resilient. You can mess up, and they'll bounce back. What's important is that you don't lose sight of who you are in the hullabaloo. Don't start identifying just as "their mom." Say your own name, and tell yourself you've got this– because you do."

She waited, smiling. She wasn't going to leave until the zikwa followed through from her little pep talk.
word count: 337
LOLLI qAq
Patron
Patron

Post by LOLLI qAq »

"Oh," she breathed out as her brain caught up to what was happening. "You're one of those chosen kin, aren't you? Is this the part where you do your Thing?"
She had zero clue what she was talking about. Maybe she wasn't particularly smart either.

"Okay. Yeah." She wiggled her rear end as though preparing herself for something big. "Yeah. I've got this. I'm gonna be their mom, but I'm going to be myself the whole time doing it. Destroy and Sow: Mom, but also general badass."

She beamed a confident smile up at the totoma.
word count: 102
Scaramouche Fandango
Legendary
Legendary

Forum

"Perfect! Just remember that no matter what, at the end of the day, you're Destroy and Sow, and the rest of the world has to deal with it." The glow in her eyes flared. "Now's the fun part. You got me pinned there- I can do this neat thing where I bestow a little bit of Motherfather magic on a family in bloom. So here's what I can promise: they won't come out wrong. I mean, wrong is subjective. But... I can promise you they'll come out ready to find their place in the world, and that there will be a place for them, and that they'll find it. Also that they'll never go hungry, be it for food or emotional nourishment." She nodded. It was a good blessing. "It might protect them- and you- from a few plans, but I have every confidence you'll roll with it."

She nudged the fish forward. "This is for you, by the way. Eat up, because they've still got some growing to do if they're going to be as tough and cool as their mom!"
word count: 192
LOLLI qAq
Patron
Patron

Post by LOLLI qAq »

Whether it was relief from the stress, the changes happening in her body, or gratitude for such a large and delicious looking fish Destroy's eyes welled up a bit with tears. She looked up at the sky and blinked them away(she could cry later), and then started in on her gift.
Around two big mouthfuls she managed to get out a deeply sincere thanking.

"It really means a whole lot that you were willing to do that, Fish." Swallow. Bite. Chew. Swallow. "This changes everything. Seriously."
word count: 88
Scaramouche Fandango
Legendary
Legendary

Forum

"No worries– It's what I do!" She stretched, then began to shift. "This is also what I do!" she said as she turned into an eagle, broad wings a-flap. "You'll be fine, and so will they!"

The eagle flew away into the night, content with the knowledge that all would be well. It was a short, sweet blessing for mom who was more prepared and ready than she could ever know.
word count: 74