[PRP] Meeting at Low Tide (Bay Sleep x Worlds Within Worlds)

All in character interactions and roleplays.
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 5,542.40 Pebbles
Avatar Art Credit: space crawfish

Post by lilacfishie »

The gentle rolling of waves had lulled the lanky kimeti buck to sleep hours ago. Under the afternoon sun, Bay Sleep snoozed heavily on the low tide sands of The Cres. The water was lapping against his back when he dozed off, and it had since crept back towards the ocean, the surf growling and whispering against the beach with each crash of the water. His thick mane travelled gently with the beach winds, followed quickly by the longer fur at the end of his tail that flicked around on the sand. Anyone who came upon him like this might think he washed up on the shore like a beached fish, splayed out for a shuppy to find and try to play with.

[Words: 123 | Total: 123]
Beejoux wrote:
Last edited by lilacfishie on Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 129
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist
Pebbles: 1,511.74 Pebbles
Kin Journal: https://matope-swamp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1272

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

It had only been a couple of days since Worlds Within Worlds had found herself in the territory of the Crescent Bay tribe. Mostly she'd kept to herself, consulted the seas. Curious if she was to remain there as the surf had initially advised, or if she'd be compelled to travel on elsewhere. She went where she was told to go, dutiful and obedient to the whims of the waves.

It was beautiful here, though. At the bay. The sun warmed the sands of the beaches, and the water was clear and blue and excited. She hoped she could stay, at least for a little while.

As she wandered along the beach it was hard not to notice the large form laying in the wet sand, but she wasn't positive she was looking at another kin until she'd gotten close to him. The doe stared down at him for a few curious moments, watching his chest to see if he was breathing. "You pick a peculiar place for your slumber. The sea could claim you with a strong swell if it desired to." Her voice was soft, airy and melodic.
Lilacfishie wrote:
word count: 196
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron

Post by lilacfishie »

Bay Sleep was probably dreaming about something. What that something was, only the MotherFather knew. He certainly wouldn't remember. Suddenly, a voice pierced through to his unconscious mind. It was melodic, like how it might feel to be kelp swaying with the surf. The lanky kimeti buck stirred, clamping his eyes shut while he stretched out is long legs and flicked his tail. With all his limbs accounted for, he finally cracked open an eye. When the doe standing over him came into focus, Bay Sleep's ears flicked with interest. He hadn't seen anyone that looked like her before.

Finally, Bay Sleep pulled himself onto his hooves. Giving a little shake, he felt most of the sand clinging to his side fall back onto the beach where it belonged. "That's okay," he started, a clueless smile spreading across his snout, "I can swim."

[Words: 143 | Total: 266]
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 153
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

The bright doe took a small step back as the lanky buck stretched and shifted before looking up at her curiously. She gave him a mild, considering look before her gaze flicked towards an incoming wave with interest. Then back again as he stood to shake the clinging sand from his flank. "Swimming in your sleep, a rare talent indeed." A flicker of a smile crossed her maw, the hint of a tease. He looked the sort to be apt at swimming, but even the most comfortable with the water would have a hard time waking submerged, she thought.

Ah well. Warning delivered. It was up to him what he did with it.

"Do you often make the surf your bed?" Worlds loved the water, but even to her that seemed unwise. Oceans were fickle creatures. As benevolent as they were merciless.
Lilacfishie wrote:
word count: 144
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron

Post by lilacfishie »

Now that Bay Sleep was upright, he got a good look at the doe in front of him. Her long hair and flowing tail details were swaying with the rolling beach winds. It may or may not have held his attention for a moment too long. Blinking twice to bring himself back to the conversation at hand, he looked down at the disappearing depression in the sand where he was laying a few moments ago. "Yeah!" he replied, looking back to her, "The sand is soft and warm and the surf sounds nice. It's the best at the beginning of low tide."

"You should try it some time," he added, without thinking. Shocker.

Staring back out at the surf for a few moments, it occurred to the kimeti buck that he had no idea who he was talking to. "I, uh," he started, ears flicking with interest, "I've never seen you around before. What's your name?"

[Words: 156 | Total: 422]
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 165
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Worlds regarded him with patient curiosity as he watched her, the scaled ridge of one brow arching gently as the quiet stretched on between them before the buck seemed to come back to himself with a few quick blinks. She too followed the downward dip of his gaze to where he'd been laying in the sand, but the mark his body had left was quickly washing away. Bright eyes flicked back up again as he spoke. "Would the rising tide not eventually carry you away?" It seemed likely, if he made a habit of napping where the waves could lick along his resting form.

Warm, soft sand and crashing ocean waves were both very appealing, though. She couldn't fault him his preferences, even as she questioned his wisdom. A minute smile tugged at her maw, and she let out an amused hum. "Perhaps some day."

"I am Worlds Within Worlds. I follow the call of the sea, and it's called me to this lovely bay." She glanced around, taking in the lovely scenery that surrounded her. "And you, what do I call you?"
lilacfishie wrote:
word count: 188
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron

Post by lilacfishie »

Bay Sleep's casual grin grew wider when Worlds Within Worlds smiled at the idea of napping on the beach. He was a firm believer that anyone should try it. As long as you were okay with suddenly being woken by the occasional shuppie, it was a good experience overall. Maybe not for the smaller kin. He didn't think the ocean would carry him off so easily, but it might snatch up a foal pretty quickly. That's why being a good swimmer was important! Anyways...

The blue buck's eyes widened a bit at Worlds Within Worlds as she introduced herself. What a fancy name for a fancy doe! Bay Sleep wondered what talking to the sea was like. He also wondered how he managed to hold the attention of this pretty and fancy lady in front of him. At her question, he perked up. "Oh, I'm, uh, Bay Sleep. I mostly nap. And help others out when they ask. Keep shuppies entertained. They like my tail," he rambled, flicking his strange tail at the mention. Clearing his throat, the buck grinned once more. "What is talking to the sea like? That sounds fun."

[Words: 192 | Total: 614]
Beejoux wrote:I am so sorry it took me so long, my brain clipped into another dimension
word count: 218
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

If the lanky buck made a habit of dozing where the waves could reach him then his name was a good fit, she thought. World's made a soft sound of amusement, her ears flicking as she nodded. A helpful, sleepy male with an entertaining tail.

She opened her mouth to ask him what a shuppy was, but paused when he asked a question of his own, scaled brows arching. "Oh. Well that's not an easy explanation." The doe chewed briefly at her lower lip as she thought how best to answer. "The sea speaks, and I listen. It's message is clear to me, I hear it in the sound of the waves, the fizz of the sea foam, the gentle lap of water along sand and rocks." Worlds gave a small shake of her head, long hair slithering along her back and down near her ankle. "It's a gift, not a skill." Not something to be taught.

There was a small pause, then her head tilted as she looked up at him. "What's a shuppy?"
lilacfishie wrote:
word count: 182
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron

Post by lilacfishie »

Bay Sleep hummed at her response, losing her question at the end. "Oh, well that sounds very fancy," he said, confused but still enthusiastic. "I guess the sea just says...what tide it is, to me. It must be very talkative if you can hear them speak through the waves," he added, smiling warmly at her. This new doe on the water was very skilled, it seemed. Bay Sleep was excited to have such an interesting neighbor on the Cres. Well, he hoped.

It finally re-occurred to him that Worlds Within Worlds had asked him a question. With a perked brow, Bay Sleep let out a laugh. "Oh, shuppies," he started, pausing to think of how to explain the little troublemakers. "They're...kind of like if a little shark and a dog had a baby? I don't think that's how that works." The lanky buck looked across the beach to see if he could spot one of the infamous holes the creatures liked to dig. Flicking his aforementioned tail in the direction of a fresh pile of sand, he continued, "They seem to have all the energy all the time, and really like to dig big holes in the sand. Plus...they're a bit bitey sometimes. Especially when they're babies. So, be careful with that pretty tail of yours."

[Words: 216 | Total: 830]
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 231
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

It was a very odd mix to try to compile in her mind. A dog and a shark? The combinations were numerous and some car too absurd to consider. Worlds smiled a little to herself at the thought, following to the flowing gesture of the bucks tail further down the beach where there were indeed fresh looking mounds of sand, like wounds, littering the coastline. "They sound very spirited." She couldn't help wanting to meet one of the feisty little things. And if they could traverse land and sea? All the better to her eyes.

Perhaps later. She looked back up at him with those bright eyes of hers, and she cocked a colorful ear towards the sound of the waves lapping gently near their ankles, listening intently.

"The ocean speaks kindly of you," she declared with a little smile.
Lilacfishie wrote:
word count: 143
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron

Post by lilacfishie »

Bay Sleep hummed in agreement. Shuppies seemed to have endless energy that no kin could ever match. Whoever "tamed" the first one must have been an amazing kin. Or slightly unhinged. Either way. The buck got lost in thought for a few moments before focusing back on the now. When he looked back at Worlds Within Worlds, he saw her lift an ear in the direction of the sea. The lanky kimeti flicked his ear in the same direction, trying to pick up what she was hearing. He only heard the wisp of the tide at their feet. Before he could ask what she was hearing, she spoke.

The smile that spread across Bay Sleep's face was the widest he'd shown so far. With his tail flicking happily around his ankles, he tried to contain his excitement. "Oh, wait, really? Well, I think the ocean is pretty great too! And, uh," he paused, glancing from her to the blue expanse, "Uh, thanks, I guess?" He meant it for Worlds Within Worlds and the ocean itself. If it could hear him. Or understand him. Was he supposed to try and make the sounds the sea made? He wasn't sure how well his impression of crashing waves or bubbles was and he didn't want Worlds Within Worlds to laugh at him. Clearing his throat, maybe a little awkwardly, he smiled back at her again. "I don't now how often you explore around here, but there are some really neat tide pools around the edge of the bay by Moonpool Island. I could take you sometime, if you'd like?"

[Words: 266 | Total: 1096]
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 278
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Worlds gave a soft little chuckle, smiling up at the excited buck. "You're welcome. From myself and the ocean." It was clear to her that Bay held a deep regard for the sea, that placed him in high standing with her.

"Tide pools?" She perked at this, the many offshoots on her curled tail swaying gently as it flicked behind her. "Oh yes, I would very much like to see that. Whenever you feel inclined to show me." Tide pools were wonderful, holding so much life, so much color. Little worlds within worlds in their own respect. "Is moonpool island close?"
Lilacfishie wrote:
word count: 104
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron

Post by lilacfishie »

Bay Sleep's last two braincells were fighting for third place, so he was surprised that the doe in front of him that looked like her tail was made of coral expressed excitement at seeing the tide pools nearby. His eyes widened a bit, becoming excited at the prospect of an outing as well, and glanced up the beach. "Moonpool Island is only a little bit up this way around the Cres. We just have to curl around the edge of the bay a bit and they'll be right there."

The buck looked at the sun and thought for a few moments. They should get there well before dark and have plenty of time to look at all the cool little things living in the tide pools. "I think we have plenty of time to go today, if you're free?" He asked cheerfully, tail swishing against the sand.

[Words: 147 | Total: 1243]
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 156
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Post by Beejoux »

Just up around the bend, that wasn't far, and with plenty of daylight left to enjoy. World's eyes twinkled with excitement at his invitation, and she nodded, tail and tendrils all swaying gently with the motion. "Oh, yes. I would very much like to see it if there is time today to indulge. Please show me."

She took a few steps in the direction he'd indicated before glancing back at him, making her eagerness obvious.
Lilacfishie wrote:
word count: 80
lilacfishie
Patron
Patron

Post by lilacfishie »

Bay Sleep was taken aback for a moment by the shimmer of the sun in Worlds Within Worlds' eyes. The already beautiful doe became even more so when she smiled at him so eagerly to go on this adventure. 'Wow, she's so pretty,' he found him thinking to himself for a moment. A slow blink brought him back to the present once again, and he moved up to meet her as a warm smile crept into his features.

Their walk along the shore was comfortable, and the sound of the waves crashing in and slinking out was music to his ears as usual. He wondered if the kimeti beside him heard something different with that sound. She did talk with the sea, after all. This internal musing took them all the way to the tip of The Cres. Turning his head towards the island close by, he remarked, "That's Moonpool Island! It would be a bit of a trek to get there today, but maybe I could show you around there some other time? It's...different. Kind of spooky if you go in the dark!"

Soon enough, they rounded the edge of the bay and before them was a short inlet. Speckled around the sand and rock were little blooms of color as the tidepools teeming with all kinds of life. "We're here!" Bay Sleep announced, tail wagging with excitement.

[Words: 229 | Total: 1472]
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 240