[B] A Pause on Life

All in character interactions and roleplays.
Lutz
Pebbles: 1,500.06 Pebbles

[B] A Pause on Life

Post by Lutz »

Fermented Plum huffed softly as she climbed a small mound of soft earth within the swamp, trying to get out of the bog she'd been wading through for the past few minutes. Her legs and hooves had sunk into the muck, the sucking noises that were made as she pulled herself out making her grimace. Though she'd grown up in the swamp she wasn't sure she'd ever get used to its smellier, squishier parts.

Finally ascending the hill, Plum sat down for a rest. The grass had cleaned her hooves but her legs were brown with mud and dirt from her ankles almost to her knees. She began to roll, cleaning herself up a bit before rising to her hooves once more with a shake of her body. That was better. Plum was a fairly tidy acha: though she didn't mind getting dirty if the situation called for it, she certainly didn't like to stay dirty longer than required.

Once she was clean and had moved away from the muddy spot she'd left, Plum laid down on a clean spot and gazed up at the sky. It wasn't often she got an unobstructed view, but her little hill was treeless and afforded a wonderful view of the slowly building sunset. She wasn't sure what had called her to this particular spot, but she figured she'd wait a bit and see what the swamp might bring her for her efforts.
word count: 249
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist
Pebbles: 2,859.80 Pebbles
Kin Journal: https://matope-swamp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1272

Forum

[B] A Pause on Life

Post by Beejoux »

Sometimes it was a conscious call that pulled at Serpent of Paradise. Most kin went looking for kin like herself when they knew they were expecting. Beseeching blessings for their unborn babies. Merry was always happy to help in whatever way she could.

Sometimes though, the call came from someone that didn't even realize they were calling for help. It didn't happen as often, least not for the kimeti doe.

She emerged from a dense thicket of trees at the edge of a small hilltop clearing. It was sunny there, warm and bright. It was no surprise to her that someone would pick this place for a rest. The kin in question was a dark colored acha with a long tail. Merry cleared her throat as she approached, not wishing to startle the other doe too badly.
Lutz wrote:
word count: 141
Lutz

[B] A Pause on Life

Post by Lutz »

Plum didn't notice the approach of the other kin, not until a gentle clearing of a throat caught her attention. She turned sharply, eyes searching for the source. When she spotted the rainbow-colored mare her whole being shifted from alert to shocked. She'd never seen anyone like her before. There was a sense of something that she exuded, a gentle sort of power that calmed Plum's racing heart. She wasn't here for a bad reason...and perhaps this was why Plum had felt drawn to the spot all along.

"Hello," she said as she got to her hooves, feeling like the stranger required a bit more respect than her reclined position offered. She turned to face her, a curious if slightly wary expression on her face. "Can I help you?"
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 137
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

[B] A Pause on Life

Post by Beejoux »

Merry's expression flashed with amusement before gentling and she dipped her head watching the doe through the bright glow of her eyes. "No, but I can help you." Her gaze flicked to the doe's stomach, just briefly, before returning to that wary face. "At least, if you'd like me to."

Tail flicking, she drew a little nearer. "You called me, or your need did. You're expecting." It wasn't a question.
lutz wrote:
word count: 77
Lutz

[B] A Pause on Life

Post by Lutz »

Plum tilted her head slightly as the mare spoke again. Her presence was calming and slowly the doe's wariness faded away, replaced with a sense of comfort and peace. Plum had always been a very practical acha, working with reason and facts more than wistful longing, but the longer she stood with her surprise companion the more she began to feel a yearning for...something she couldn't quite place.

But then, as the mare spoke of what Plum hadn't told a single soul, she knew exactly who this was. Well, not who, but what. The type of kin that can bless an expecting mother, to fortify the coming foals for whatever awaited them in their life.

"I suppose I did," Plum finally said, even if she hadn't known she'd done so. "Thank you for coming, then." She paused, a bit uncertain. "I am expecting...though I am unsure what I should do or ask for from you. You'll have to forgive me. This is my first time meeting someone like you."
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 179
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

[B] A Pause on Life

Post by Beejoux »

Merry shook her head, that friendly smile brightening. "There's nothing to forgive. I know, it's strange." She remembered her first time as well. Which, honestly, was nothing compared to meeting the Motherfather themself, or the first time she'd changed into a bird. The latter she was still getting accustomed to.

"If you could ask for one thing for your children, what would it be? Confidence, wisdom, kindness?" She dipped her head encouragingly.
Lutz wrote:
word count: 77
Lutz

[B] A Pause on Life

Post by Lutz »

Strange was putting it lightly, but Plum wasn't going to look a giftkin in the mouth. She thought about the question seriously, giving herself time to figure out what she valued in others. All the things that the mare had mentioned were indeed great qualities, but it was hard to pick just one. Wisdom was important and that could solve quite a few of life's problems, but one could be wise and cruel at the same time.

"To persevere, whatever hardships life gives them," she finally said, lifting her gaze to meet the rainbow colored mare's. "If they can do that, then hopefully the rest will come to them." That seemed fair. No matter what sort of personality they grew up to have, perseverance would see them through whatever endeavors they faced.
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 137
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

[B] A Pause on Life

Post by Beejoux »

It was always nice when an expectant parent took the time to really think about what they wanted most for their children. No blessing shed given had been bad, but some certain went beyond what she would have considered more token requests. Good requests, of course, but familiar ones.

This one she liked. Great deal. It was a wonderful trait to have, in her opinion. "I can do that," she assured. Then closed her eyes, reaching for that now familiar sense of connection.

There was no outward sign that anything hand changed or been done, but after a moment Merry opened her eyes. "All done."
Lutz wrote:
word count: 107
Lutz

[B] A Pause on Life

Post by Lutz »

Plum waited as the legendary mare closed her eyes, expecting to feel...something. Yet once she said it was done, Plum didn't feel any different. She'd have to take the mare's word for it, then.

"Thank you," she said, bobbing her head slightly, unsure what sort of decorum or formality befitted a kin such as the one before her. "For answering a call I wasn't aware I'd sent out and for blessing the foals." She tilted her head very slightly, wondering if it was overstepping her bounds to ask the mare's name. She decided that it was.

"Is there anything you'd like in return for the blessing?" She wasn't sure what she could do for the other female, but if there was something that could be thought of, she'd certainly try to do it.
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 145
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

[B] A Pause on Life

Post by Beejoux »

Merry shook her head. "Oh no. No, no, no. I don't need anything in return." And really, the formality always felt very odd to her. She'd never been a vet formal doe. "Really, I'm just happy to help." Having the ability to actually do something felt nice.

She started to turn, to take her leave, but she paused, long tail swishing at her ankles. "For what it's worth," she began, looking back at the other mare. "I think you'll do great."

And with that she was taking the form of a colorful bird, circling once and fluttering away through the trees.
Lutz wrote:
word count: 108