Small acts can have big rewards

Write stories as told by your kin, either to fill Legendary requirements or just for fun.
Lirilei
Herald
Herald
Pebbles: 6,551.36 Pebbles

Forum

Small acts can have big rewards

Post by Lirilei »

Flawed had been watching things trying to slowly come back to life all through the swamp, trying to shake away the shackles of winter and cold, and it made him think about other things coming back to life. So when he was approached by some of the young kin he helped to keep an eye on, requesting a story a smile stole over his scarred face and he slowly settled down to be more comfortable before he cleared his throat and began to talk.

"You all know the MotherFather works in mysterious ways right?" there was a chorus of 'yes' and 'uh-huh' from around him and he gave a nod. "So it shouldn't be a real surprise to any of you, that sometimes, the MotherFather decides that not just plants and trees and stuff should come back to life."

"What do you mean?"  "What?"  "Tell us!"

The normally skittish buck was clearly at ease around the young ones, and he settled into the story telling then, the usual stutter unheard as he spoke. "Well, as I said the MotherFather works in mysterious ways, and sometimes, well....sometimes a kin is given the rare ability to come back to life. A kin who has proven themselves in some way..." "You mean like the Mares and Stags we've heard about?" "Not quite. You see, those who have been chosen for that honor have proven themselves in another way. That's not to say they can't be blessed with this honor as well, but it's unheard of. You see, this is how it goes...."

He heard silence descend amongst the young ones as he settled into the story, and he looked around the small group clustered in front of him, listening with rapt attention, and lowered his voice slightly. "You see, sometimes a kin, well they do something so amazingly selfless, that the MotherFather decides to reward them with another chance in the swamp. I heard there was some kin, who though everyone thought they were strange for it, carefully tended some insects. One, chose to care for fireflies, making sure they had the sort of food that fireflies like to eat, the sort of home they like to sleep in, making sure spiderwebs wouldn't trap its little friends in the sticky silk... and year by year the collection of fireflies grew larger, and brighter. Rain or shine the kin was out there with the fireflies and tending them, and they liked to follow the kin every where it went. Sometimes choosing to land on it, and just stay. All because they were cared for and treated kindly."

"What about the other? You said there was some kin, that was only one!" "Patience. I'm getting there." he gave a soft laugh. "The other kin, liked beetles, found them beyond helpful and fascinating. They all have different colors, and patterns. Sizes and sounds, and this kin, well it found them to be a beautiful sound, despite others not. Still, it was the same thing, making sure the beetles had all they could ever want as far as food went, and that was a great deal harder for this kin to accomplish as some of the beetles liked meat to eat and lay their eggs in, others preferred dung, some flowers or leaves. It took a lot of time and patience to discover what each little beetle needed to survive."

He shifted a moment to gently nuzzle at one young foal near him who was giving him a wide eyed look with a smile before he continued. "These kin, they took care of their little friends from the time they were your ages, until they were old, old kin, and could barely walk anymore they were so old. Their own pains and dicomforts meant nothing to them in the end. But of course like all things, one day they died and were returned to the MotherFather who decided that both of these kin deserved a little thank you for taking care of some of the smallest creatures here in the swamp...and each was resurrected. It's said if you see a swarm of fireflies suddenly that the one who tended to those small shining lights might just be near by, especially if you happen to find yourself in need of light, or finding your way. The other, still lives with its beetle friends, and the way I hear, if you hear the buzz of beetles especially when they should all be sleeping it's likely this kin is nearby watching you, to see how you treat even the smallest of creatures."

"Woooooow. That's so cool!" "Are you telling the truth?" "I love fireflies! But I guess I should stop trying to catch them...." "Beetles are creepy looking." "Nu-uh they're cool!" he listened to them chatter and gave a soft laugh. "Who's to say if what I said is truth or story. Maybe it's a little bit of both hm? Just think about that in your day to day lives because just maybe, the MotherFather is watching you, just like your own mothers and fathers are watching you. Of course, the MotherFather is all seeing, all knowing.... so you might want to be on your best behaviors. Run along now." he watched them all get up and run off to parents to help with chores, and eased to his own hooves with a content note, walking away though he heard one of the mothers chuckle at him. "That was smart Flawed, telling them that the MotherFather might be watching. That's sure to earn some good behavior for awhile." "O...oh. Thank y-you. It's tr-true though. The M-MotherFather C-c-c-ould be watching...." he stammered quietly and continued on his way, pausing as a beetle scurried past one hoof and a firefly twinkled on a nearby wall. Who knew.

word count: 991