ORP with Steals Fire (Bring Back the Light Event)

Staff-run Meta RP events.
Baneful
Swampmaster
Swampmaster
Pebbles: 7,213.06 Pebbles
Kin Journal: https://matope-swamp.com/forums/viewtop ... 3043#p3043

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Baneful »

Dominant looked from one of them to the other with a long thoughtful look, his ears back as if he was processing some significant thought. "Hm." he said. "That makes sense. He seems pretty boring anyway, and you don't look like you'd put in the effort to make it entertaining. Probably a dull match. Diplomacy's probably where you both should stay."

He sighed and rolled onto his back, his long legs in the air, tail and mane sprawled out below him.

"I was hoping I might find some entertainment where kin gathered, but it's looking pretty unlikely right now. Everyone is so..." he exhaled.

"Tense."

King was still the very picture of tension, irritated about being told he was boring when he most certainly wasn't. Stalker was normally the one who people labelled as boring, with him the more exotic, mysterious one. This wasn't a mantle he was very pleased about donning. "It would not be dull." he said irritably.

"And I don't know what you were EXPECTING. This is an emergency, the swamp is in darkness, everything as we know it might dissolve around us. Don't you care about anything?"

Dominant rolled his eyes. "Not really. If it goes to pieces, people will die, there will still be food for a while." He turned his attention to Bath again.

"My favourites are the tar slimes." he said. "Sticky. They have a lot of uses. Though there's nothing quite like a fresh drink slurped from the blue ones."

King made a disgusted face.
Toshiful wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:45 am
word count: 271
Baneful
Swampmaster
Swampmaster

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Baneful »

"Oh don't worry about me being tired of answering questions." Steals Fire said brightly, his little tail flicking amicably. "This is exactly the moment I've been waiting for my whole life, I exist to keep people informed with what we are up to."

He looked over the coat in question and nodded. "It would be a shame to waste such beautiful fur." he said. "We are presently working on setting it right. The legends hint that there is a critical vessel we must find and the motes will lead us there!"
Lutz wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:58 am
word count: 102
Baneful
Swampmaster
Swampmaster

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Baneful »

"That's fair." Steals said evenly. "Most would prefer never to encounter hardship. It can be exhausting, but I'm sure it will be worth it this time."

He did perk up at the mention of snacks. "Oh, there are snacks! This grove is imbued with some very unique plants and fauna. I'm sure the Helpers will see that you are fed. We want people healthy and happy to help save everything. What's a few snacks to that?"

"Either way, glad to have you along. I'm Steals Fire!"
kuropeco wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:15 am
word count: 100
Appeal
Guest Colorist
Guest Colorist
Pebbles: 2,032.86 Pebbles

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Appeal »

Brother Shark certainly was correct. Most of the kin gathered here didn't have any answers and had come in search of them as they had. But who had answers? Well, Fisheye took a moment to observe what was happening. One acha seemed to be welcoming everyone and answering questions, although another two... no, three acha were definitely unusual, blessed by the Motherfather if Fisheye had to guess. However, they seemed as uncertain as she.

She would hear bits of his conversations as he welcomed others, as he eased their worries and answered questions. Her eyes followed the glow of his flank as she looked at Steals Fire before she glanced up at Brother Shark in the dim glow provided by their limited light sources. "If I were to guess on my limited information, I'd say him: The one with the fire's glow on his flank. Shall we go speak with him?"

She waited a moment before she walked toward Steals Fire, expecting Brother Shark to follow.

"Excuse us," she said politely but in a firm voice as she approached. "My name is Fisheye, and this here is Brother Shark. We've come from the The Crescent Bay to help. You appear to have a good understanding of the situation, do you know why this has happened? How certain are you that this will work?"
Beejoux wrote:
Baneful wrote:
word count: 231
rexcorvus
Certist
Certist
Pebbles: 370.80 Pebbles

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by rexcorvus »

As Born nosed against his chin, Death tilted his head downwards to meet them, idly curving their head around the zikwa. They were much smaller and therefore it was easy to find solace in the way they seemed to fit against his side. At Born's feet, Haven was sniffing the air, and Death let his tail brush against the sand dog's flank in reassurance.

"I think so," he said softly. "I don't think it'll do anyone good to have things remain like this. We can go with them, follow them, and make sure of things and if anything is too dangerous, we can turn back."
Beejoux wrote:
word count: 111
rexcorvus
Certist
Certist

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by rexcorvus »

Sleepy Time would not only have preferred to have no hardship at all, he would have preferred no -ship of any kind, especially if it meant delving out of the comfortable little nook of trees he'd decided to call home. It was there that he'd made a rather satisfactory nest of leaves, velvety-soft petals, and carefully organized branches and it was there that he got his best naps in.

This journey did not seem like it would have good napping spaces. Sleepy Time said, with some relief, "Oh! Yes, I think that's a good reassurance. I do like a good snack, and they seem, uh..."

A beat of silence. "...nice?" It was more of a question than a statement, Sleepy Time casting a glance over at the indicated kin. "I'm Sleepy Time. You're going to be our guide, right?"

This last bit was directed to Steals Time again. "I think you'll make sure we're safe," said Sleepy Time, with a decisive nod. "You've already gotten us snacks and all, so I trust you."
Baneful wrote:
word count: 184
Dizzy_Kat
Colorist
Colorist
Pebbles: 320.54 Pebbles
Kin Journal: https://matope-swamp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1547

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Dizzy_Kat »

Prime Evil listened to Steals Fire as he passed off responsibility for the darkness and continued to sell the premise of he and his companions having the exact fix for the problem all ready to go oh so conveniently at the very moment the problem cropped up in the first place. She rolled her eyes and shook her head. It was still a good bit and seeing so many kin take it so seriously was already proving entertainment enough. Prime left him to his tales and began to wander among the fires and groups of kin.
word count: 96
rexcorvus
Certist
Certist

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by rexcorvus »

In the back of the crowd, a derisive snort came from a kimeti that stood off to himself, dark hair falling over part of his face. It was a dismissive noise, a sound that clearly indicated a lack of believability in what was being spouted off to them about fixing things and saving the swamp, or whatever other insanity was there. He didn't seem to have any sort of shame about being overheard, either, Traitor idly weaving his way through the throngs of kin to give each and every one of them a baseless look of irritation.

"What utter nonsense," he murmured, and it was low and rasping, his voice so deep it felt grounded in the earth at his hooves. There was a gravel edge to it, as if he didn't speak much. "What complete drivel."
word count: 139
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist
Pebbles: 2,136.02 Pebbles
Kin Journal: https://matope-swamp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1272

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Beejoux »

Of all the kin currently present and conversating, that buck did seem to be the most knowledgeable. If that knowledge was worth anything remained to be seen, but they lost nothing by speaking to him.

"Yes, he seems confident enough." Not just co fodent, but confident that something could be done, and that he knew what they needed to do.

He fell into step at Fisheye's side, and dipped his head as she introduced him to the acha with the fiery eyes.
appeal wrote:
baneful wrote:
word count: 87
Beejoux
Colorist
Colorist
Pebbles: 2,136.02 Pebbles
Kin Journal: https://matope-swamp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1272

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Beejoux »

When they felt Death lower his head to curve warm and solid against them they let themself lean heavily into his side, thin tail flicking gently along their ankles. It was hard to be truly worried when the buck was with them, and perhaps in this situation that was foolish, but it was still true.

"A sound plan." Death was good at thinking ahead, far better than them. They had Death to thank for the protective sanddog sitting at their feet. A pair of eyes and careful guide for when the large buck couldn't be with them.

The dog in question settled as that large tail curled beside him, quieting.

"I will help in whatever way I am able. I'm sure Haven can aid me, if you show him what we're meant to do."
kuropeco wrote:
word count: 139
Baneful
Swampmaster
Swampmaster

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Baneful »

Steals Fire turned to give Fisheye a greeting smile, inclining his head. "I don't know why this has happened unfortunately, there are many stories about the origin of the "great darkness" as my tribe came to know it, and as stories do, they all varied on the culprit. There are hundreds of different versions of the story, though the most common is to do with some jealous creature stealing it away to keep it to themselves."

He shrugged his shoulderblades. "But the stories do agree on the solution, the motes will lead us to the source."

Brother Shark was offered the same hospitality and greeting. "With so many kin pulling together, I have no doubt we will succeed."
Beejoux wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:28 pm
appeal wrote:
word count: 130
Lutz
Pebbles: 1,653.10 Pebbles

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Lutz »

Make It Work raised a brow as the dark yet somehow glowing kin responded cheerfully. If it were him in this situation he'd definitely tell others to pass along what he'd said so he wasn't bombarded with every newcomer asking him what was up. Sure, things might get lost in translation, but he'd live with that if it meant he wasn't bothered.

Still, it took all types, he supposed.

His expression shifted from slightly judgemental to appreciative as his fur was complimented. It didn't take much to get Make It Work buttered up and it certainly would make the conversation less sassy going forward: he could work with someone who complimented him.

"So the motes are the key for the time being," he mused, glancing out into the forest where faint specks of light could be seen floating aimlessly past the reach of the fire and the glow of the mushrooms and the kin. "You said this is the moment you've been waiting for?" he added, turning back to gaze at the Acha. "You knew it would come?" A heads up would have been nice, but perhaps this little group hadn't known when. At least it seemed they were here to help as opposed to reveling in the death of the sun.
Last edited by Lutz on Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 220
Toshiful
Legendary
Legendary
Pebbles: 3,726.68 Pebbles

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Toshiful »

"Hmm," Bath said, "I'll be the first to admit. It's a somewhat eclectic dating experience. Not, you know, insurmountable, but not...dull. Rather worse than dull. As far as my part in it. King here is popular, though. I'm told."

Bath considered these recommendations. "I understand there are some that can keep things and some that can get rid of things. Both handy, hmm? Not to be mixed up, though."
word count: 73
Baneful
Swampmaster
Swampmaster

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Baneful »

One of the Helpers emerges from the trees with what looks like a bowl shaped contraption on a sled dragged behind her with her teeth. Steam rises from it and the embers beneath the creation glow dimly red, the whole structure clearly the work of the Creator Helper.

"Soup's up!" she says. "Can't mote hunt on empty bellies. This one's a little gift from myself and Undefeated. Enjoy!"

The soup is just for a little bit of fun and flavour, it is filling and delicious with a rich meaty taste and for just a moment on drinking it, kin are taken back to one of their earliest memories.
word count: 111
Ruriska
Legendary
Legendary
Pebbles: 3,995.54 Pebbles

Forum

ORP with Steals Fire

Post by Ruriska »

Illuminating had been lost in thought and when the Acha approached her, she reacted with a startled shiver, giving a soft intake of breath. In the dark, with her bad eyesight, the other was just a shadow against the firelight. But judging by the tone, there was a smile there, one that she returned, though her own was somewhat strained by the circumstances.

Was it truly so easy to bring back the sun? Just collect glowing motes? She hoped that was the case. Regardless, she wouldn’t quit. She’d walked all the way from the caves to the swamp, overland, into the unknown. She could do this too.

“I would like that, thank you. Together, all of us, I hope we can fix everything. I... miss the sun dearly.” She sighed. “My name is Illuminating.”

Her introduction was cut short by the arrival of one of the helpers. They were easy to see in the dark. They shone so brightly, their glow unmistakable. Food? They were quite prepared. It was a relief to know that somebody was in charge, even if a few people in the crowd seemed unconvinced.

“I’m not very hungry but it would be a good idea to put something in our bellies. Shall we?”
lolternative wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:07 am
word count: 219