Colorist
Colorist
Pebbles: 4,214.16 Pebbles
Avatar Art Credit: Space Crawfish
Kin Journal: https://matope-swamp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38

Forum

Corn's AU Plot Generator!

Post by Corn »

There's no end to the surprises this season, it seems. First the gang gets tricked into doing a mischief against their dear Motherfather, then the consequences of that are widespread and utterly baffling. Every which way you turn, the light's either there or not to varying degrees, and the whole world's gone strange - it feels like many worlds now, instead of just the one, and traveling from one to another leaves kin with anything from hazy memories and vague impressions of far-flung spaces, to whole new life stories as different animals that slowly fade away like a dream. Talk is widespread of different bodies, different names, strange magics, incomprehensible tools... Except they can be comprehended, but only while one is there. Once they come back home, come back here, the knowledge is simply gone.

Usually, Winter Market is the highlight of Can You's year - she's a common sight most festivals, and seeing Can You is usually a sign that there's something fun afoot. However, the biggest surprise of this year is how sullen and quiet she is, simply laying crossly in a stable patch of sunlight. She complains to anyone who'll listen, "Oh! I HAD a fun game planned for this year! But then this happened," she says, waving a foreleg at the general surrounds, indicating the surreal patches of light and dark. "As soon as this popped up, all the supplies I've been stocking up got swallowed up by a tangle of, whatever this is, and now I can't even look for any of it without getting caught in some weird dream about being a damned squirrel or something! Everything is stuck in there, now!"

If you ask more about it - for example, offering to help her retrieve her supplies - she'll give you a bitter look. "You can try heading in there, sure, but you're not gonna find any of my supplies. You're just gonna get caught in a dream, too. You might not even get to remember any of them for your trouble! So, have fun," she'll say with a sigh, then turn her head and continue to sulk.
In character, this is deeply confusing, troubling, fascinating, worrying... out of character, this is mostly exciting. Like many others, I want to help my swamp fam capitalize on this novel meta experience! So what I've done is create a simple collection of plot elements that you can string together in order to create new stories with your kin exploring these strange new worlds. Each of the ideas on the lists is vague enough to give you plenty of wiggle room, but hopefully also enough to give you some specific direction to encourage some unique ideas! For example, if you roll or choose the Goal of 'find a specific object', that can interact with any of the settings and your kin's personality in whatever way makes sense to you, anything from finding a powerful enchanted item in a fantasy setting, to finding a medicinal herb to cure an ailing friend as a shaman of a different species, to simply finding your car keys in a humanoid slice of life RP!

And of course, you get a chance for a bit of a bonus on top of the fun RP, too. It's the winter market, after all! What the heck kind of booth would this be if I weren't offering prizes?
word count: 578
Corn
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

PRIZE POOL

Post by Corn »

WEEKLY PRIZE: Every Friday until the end of the event, two lucky winners will get art of their kin from me! I can try to draw scenes from your AU if you want, but I'm much better at drawing kin as kin. You Have Been Warned.

You may request one of these three specific styles, or let me do whatever I feel like doing, or like ask me to redraw your kin as a specific meme if you want?
"With The Pixels" :: "A Dang Pony" :: "The Half Derpens"
FINALE PRIZE: A fine selection of seven kin from three breedings! Their codes are shorthand for the breeding names - Trailing Briar, Here In The Pit, and Star Riot.
TB1, TB2, TB4 :: HITP1, HITP4 :: SR1, SR2
word count: 124
Corn
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

TICKET RUBRIC

Post by Corn »

Now, I know that between fickle muses, work/life imbalances, and crunching for the winter holidays, not everyone has time to write long, elaborate roleplays these days. Because of this, I've decided to allow multiple different ways to participate in this booth! Differing levels of energy input will translate to differing raffle ticket rewards, but with a cap on how many tickets you can earn per raffle, hopefully I've created a fun balance between allowing everyone to participate and rewarding people who get wild with it!

Each user may earn a maximum of SIX TICKETS per raffle cycle.
SOLO PARTICIPATION
  • Brainstorm/Outline
    The easiest method of participation, for the creative with minimal time and energy. Sketch out a rough idea of what would happen if you had the time to write a full story, and earn yourself ONE TICKET. These can be posted directly in the thread.
  • Complete Solo
    A little harder, and a lot more complete. Write out a full story with one or more of your kin completing the prompt for a reward of THREE TICKETS. Plus, for each kin that reaches 500 words, you can claim the shop standard RP POINT! These should be posted in the RP Subforum.

DUO OR GROUP RP
  • Brainstorm/Outline
    Harder to juggle with multiple people, but the minimal amount of effort you can participate with. Come up with an outline for how the scene would go down, and you can earn ONE TICKET PER PLAYER. These can be posted directly in the thread.
  • Complete RP
    The quintessential participation method! Create a RP thread and play through the scenario to receive THREE TICKETS PER PLAYER. Plus, for each kin that reaches 500 words, you can claim the shop standard RP POINT! These should be posted in the RP Subforum.
  • Fresh Partner Bonus
    Every week that you RP with a completely different user or set of users, you each get ONE EXTRA TICKET! Because of the six per week cap, one of these tickets will count as a special seventh ticket for the finale raffle. I would love to see you all play with as many people as possible to spread the love!

VISUAL STORYTELLING
  • Rough Sketches
    Of course, instead of writing at all, you might just want to make visuals! If you throw together a series of sketches to tell your tale, you can claim ONE TICKET. For the purposes of this rubric, a sketch is defined as a drawing with rough or hastily drawn lines, with no or minimal colors added.
  • Finished Illustrations or Comic Pages
    Naturally, if you're gonna do more work, you get more tickets. For your hard work, you can claim THREE TICKETS PER IMAGE/PAGE.

All visual arts entries can be posted directly in the thread.

*Needless to say, taking a shortcut with AI to create images as anything other than reference is most definitely cheating, and if you do this, you will get no tickets.
word count: 492
Corn
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

RP GENERATOR

Post by Corn »

HOW TO USE THE PROMPT GENERATOR

This list of plot elements is pretty easy to use. You can either manually select one item from each category, or roll 4 or 5d6, depending on whether or not you're determining the nature of the participating kins' relationship(s), tor you can take your pick from the choices on offer! The elements are deliberately very vague and open-ended, which might make fulfilling the prompt seem difficult, but really, I just wanted to leave you with enough wiggle room to be able to write just about anything you want! Below each element is a brief, spoilered guide on how to consider it when creating your RP scenario, though, if you need some help interpreting your results. Your first post in this thread each week should be your dice rolls with the following post.

Code: Select all

[color=#FF8040][size=150]LET'S ROLL![/size][/color]
[b]Username:[/b] 
[b]Prompt Results:[/b] [url=url]Finale Prefs:[/b] list as many as you'd like.
GENRE:
1. slice of life
Spoiler
Slice of life stories are focused on mundane, day-to-day activities, with relatively low-stakes problems to overcome; these can be coffee shop AUs, fanciful tabloid dramas, even crossovers into other genres that focus on entirely domestic scenes. The key is to keep it focused on the character interactions, more than on any major crisis.
2. superpowered
Spoiler
Stories about superpowered characters are often action-packed, high-stakes adventures where lives are on the line - possibly even the fate of the entire world! Each character has at least one unnatural ability, such as flight, super speed, super strength, or etc, and many also have a secret weakness, like a rare space mineral, a highly kidnappable relative or friend, or so on. Your characters could be working together against a common foe, or they could be adversaries on opposite sides of a conflict.
3. paranormal
Spoiler
Stories about the paranormal involve anything you might find in fantasy, mythology or superstition. This is the genre of ghost hunts, werewolf packs, cryptids, gods, and more. Your characters could be ghosts, monsters, monster hunters, zombie survivors - even angels or demons. These stories are also often high-stakes.
4. sports
Spoiler
Similar to a slice of life story, but specifically focused on an important competition. You've got to win the big game, bring home the medals, train to be your very best, maybe even survive a battle royale or martial arts tournament! Whatever the competition and prize are, though, they're a background element for the roleplay - your characters should be mainly focused on resolving the rolled Goal.
5. sci fi
Spoiler
The main focus of this genre is technology, and how your characters interact with it. Are you piloting giant robots, living in a space colony, using or inventing new life-saving technologies to improve the everyday lives of the people? Or is there some sinister machine lurking around the next corner, waiting for its chance to hurt you? Has an evil corporation seized hold of the peoples' progress, leaving you all to compete for scraps in the shadow of their wealth? The choice is yours!
6. animals, but different
Spoiler
This is where the ponies and the warrior cats go. You know who your are... In all seriousness, there's room for all kinds of non-human escapades in this genre. it's up to you what animals you'll be, how those animals interact with the world around them, whether humans even exist in that world or not. You can be anything from house pets to an advanced civilization that can hold things in your hooves because magic, who cares.

GOAL:
1. reach a distant place
Spoiler
Depending on the genre, this can be anything from the far side of a fence to another planet. There's something there you want or need, and you're determined to get to it.
2. (meet/help/get help from) a third party
Spoiler
There's an NPC who needs you, or you need them! What is it that's needed, and why are you or them the only one who can provide it?
3. solve a mystery
Spoiler
Oh no! Someone/thing is missing and/or dead! How'd that happen?? Also, does Bigfoot exist? It's up to you to find out - or not!
4. resolve a disagreement
Spoiler
Anything from the scale of an argument to an all-out war. Will you choose the diplomatic route, or wholly reject one side in favor of the other?
5. overcome a common threat
Spoiler
The scale of actual danger can go from zero to eleven, but you're in this mess together, so you'd better try to cooperate!
6. obtain a specific object
Spoiler
What is it that you need? Did you lose your car keys? Do you need to find a special medicine? Is there a powerful magical artifact that can be used to save the world?!? Whatever it is, it's out there somewhere!

COMPLICATION:
1, minor differences build friction
Spoiler
For some reason, the two of you just can't seem to get along... But it's not for some really important reason, like one of you thinks the other should die or something. It's more like you really hate the way they pronounce specific words, or they think it's cooler to wear baseball caps sideways rather than backwards, or they've eaten the last pear and you were really looking forward to it -! Even if you love each other, a person's little habits and idiosyncrasies can really get on your nerves after a while.
2. bad first impression or misunderstanding
Spoiler
There has been a critical miscommunication, and now one of you thinks the other is repulsive/untrustworthy/weird/dangerous.
3. limited resources
Spoiler
It's going to be really difficult to achieve your goal because there might not be enough of something to get there. This can be anything from time, to food, to medical supplies - anything critical to success that you can run out of!
4. antagonistic third party
Spoiler
Some bastard has shown up and is here to give you both hell. They don't necessarily oppose your goal, but they definitely oppose you! How are you going to get around them?
5. a natural disaster
Spoiler
The whole world has been upheaved by a terrifying force. The landscape is different now, things aren't where or how they used to be, and there are unexpected dangers lurking around every other corner. Please be cautious and stay safe out there!
6. one/both of you have amnesia
Spoiler
You have a vague memory that there's something you're supposed to do, and you might have left yourself a few clues about what that is, but hell if you can remember what exactly it is right this moment! Maybe your buddy will be able to help you solve that puzzle?

THE TWIST:
1. one of you has a secret identity
Spoiler
From a different faction, from a different species, or from a different place? Or one of many, many more possibilities. One of you's told a lie about who you are, and if it gets found out, there's likely to be bad feelings all around.
2. one/both of you is/are already dead
Spoiler
You might not even know it yet, but you've already died, and your presence is something like a walking corpse or a tangible phantom. Finding this out, whether you or your partner do or not, will completely change the dynamic between you two.
3. one of you is from a different genre
Spoiler
One of you done got isekai'd or something, because this story is DEFINITELY not where you belong! What gives?! Oh well, you're in this situation now, so I guess you'd better deal with it!
4 one of you is a time traveler
Spoiler
Secretly, one of you has come back from the future to change something that happened in the past. You have to try not to let the other person know, because changing the past is really, really tricky, and if you don't do a clean job, the consequences will be far-reaching and unexpected!
5. only one of you can succeed
Spoiler
Whether it's a competition or you're both working towards the same goal, there's only room for one of you at the top. It's up to the both of you how you determine who gets what they want or need, and who gets left wanting.
6. your goal is impossible
Spoiler
No matter how hard you toil, your goal is unattainable - but you don't know this from the outset. How long will it take you to find that out? What are the consequences of that?

opt. CHARACTER RELATIONSHIP:
1-2. friendly
Spoiler
In this world, you're already on good terms with each other! You could be anything from friends to committed life partners.
3-4. neutral
Spoiler
In this world, you've either never met, or you only know each other in passing, and don't feel anything strong about each other either way,
5-6. unfriendly
Spoiler
In this world, the two of you have met, and you've regretted it ever since. You either annoy each other constantly or downright HATE each other.
SHOWING YOUR WORK

I can't be having you all doing your numerous RPs in here, that would be ridiculous and a mess and I would not be able to do got dang anything. So, what you're gonna do first is post here and roll your dice to determine your prompt (no to mention post your preference list for the finale raffle). Then, depending on how you plan on filling the prompt, you either 1. post a thread in the Roleplaying Forum and start the title with the tag [AU RP] or [AU SOLO], depending on if you're writing with friends or alone, or 2. make a single post directly in this thread if you're gonna do an outline, brainstorm, or art piece. If you do an RP, each player brings it back here and posts the RP form.

[color=#FF8040][size=150]I'VE TOLD A TALE![/size][/color]
[b]Prompt Results:[/b] [url=url]Link to roll[/url]
[b]Solo Link:[/b] [url=SOLOurl]Solo Title[/url]
[b]Score:[/b] how do you think you did on the tickets rubric?

[color=#FF8040][size=150]WE'VE SPUN A STORY![/size][/color]
[b]Usernames:[/b] 
[b]RP Link:[/b] [url=RPurl]RP Title[/url]

[color=#FF8040][size=150]I DREW A DOODLE![/size][/color]
[b]Image:[/b] Use imgheight or imgwidth tags to keep them smallish.
word count: 1813
Corn
Colorist
Colorist

Forum

Example Roll

Post by Corn »

Here's an example first post and example interpretation of the prompt roll, ok?

so, we rolled
a superpowered setting
where we need to (meet/help/get help from) a third party
with limited resources,
but one of you has a secret identity.

To tie all these elements together, we can say that the limited resources in this setting are used as fuel for the supowerpowers in the setting. Our two protagonist kin are setting out to meet with a powerful hero in order to get their help against a strong foe. The journey is long, and they and up fighting each other over who gets to use how much of the limited resource to power themselves up. When they finally reach the person they're looking for, the reason that the two of them were fighting so much through the whole journey is revealed - one of them is secretly the agent of the powerful enemy, who came along to find and kill the very strong hero before they can stop their master!
Dice rolls
[2, 2, 3, 1] = 8
4d6:  [
] = 8
word count: 173
Lutz
Pebbles: 1,874.96 Pebbles

Post by Lutz »

LET'S ROLL!
Username: Lutz
Prompt Results: 2 Genre: Superpowered
2 Goal: Get help from a third party
3 Complication: Limited resources
2 The twist: One of you is dead
Finale Prefs: TB1, TB2, TB4, HITP4, SR2

I'VE TOLD A TALE!
Prompt Results: Link to rolls
Solo Link: Mission: Breakout
Score: 3
Dice rolls
[2, 2, 3, 2] = 9
] = 9
Last edited by Lutz on Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:50 am, edited 5 times in total. word count: 55
HuniPi
Patron
Patron
Pebbles: 3,213.44 Pebbles

Post by HuniPi »

LET'S ROLL!
Username: HuniPi
Prompt Results:
6 - animals but different
2 - (meet/help/get help from) a third party
5 - a natural disaster
1 - one of you has a secret identity
Finale Prefs: TB1, TB2, TB4, HI TP4, HI TP1, SR1, SR2.

I'VE TOLD A TALE!
Username: HuniPi
Prompt Results: Link to roll
Solo Link: Going with the "Outline" option
It would feature My Tracks and Steadfast Sheen but in MLP form (Sea Whip and Rough Shards).They would be trying to find an MLP dragon "officially" to negotiate about the location of their current hibernation den, which is at the top of a high mountain. Shards is bringing the offering needed for diplomacy while Whip would handle the actual talking, but on their way up, an avalanche occurs. The two ponies manage to survive but end up trapped in a cave.
Things look dire for either pony until one of them (likely Sea Whip) is forced to use her unicorn magic knowledge to reveal that she's actually the dragon's apprentice and was on her way with the necessary payment for the lessons. Then Shard would be hit with a memory-wipe spell but the necessary components and amount of magic had to be used up to get them out of the cave.
Score: 1 ticket (as it's an outline and my spoons deemed this all I'm capable of given the prompt)
Dice rolls
[6, 2, 5, 1] = 14
] = 14
Last edited by HuniPi on Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:37 am, edited 4 times in total. word count: 238
Astoria
Pebbles: 1,914.88 Pebbles

Post by Astoria »

LET'S ROLL!
Username: AstoriaFallen
Prompt Results: Rolls
slice of life
resolve a disagreement
a natural disaster
one of you is from a different genre
Finale Prefs: TB4, TB2, SR2, HITP4, HITP1, SR1
Dice rolls
[1, 4, 5, 3] = 13
] = 13
Last edited by Astoria on Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:39 am, edited 4 times in total. word count: 33
Lutz
Pebbles: 1,874.96 Pebbles

Post by Lutz »

LET'S ROLL!
Prompt Results: 6 Genre: Animals, but different
5 Goal: Overcome a common threat
3 Complication: Limited resources
1 The twist: One of you has a secret identity
Finale Prefs: TB1, TB2, TB4, HITP4, SR2
Dice rolls
[6, 5, 3, 1] = 15
] = 15
word count: 39
Aria Starstone
Pebbles: 25.32 Pebbles

Post by Aria Starstone »

LET'S ROLL!
Username: Aria Starstone
Prompt Results: animals, but different, solve a mystery, bad first impression or misunderstanding, one of you is a time traveler
Finale Prefs: TB4, TB1, TB2, HITP1, HITP4, SR2, SR1

I'VE TOLD A TALE!
Username: Aria Starstone
Solo Link: Feathers and Fur
Dice rolls
[6, 3, 2, 4] = 15
] = 15
word count: 55
Fasti
Pebbles: 1,561.72 Pebbles
Kin Journal: https://matope-swamp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3190

Post by Fasti »

LET'S ROLL!
Username: Fasti
Prompt Results: I manualy decide the prompts. (:
Sport, bad first impression or misunderstanding, obtain a specific object, one/both of you is/are already dead, friendly
Finale Prefs: TB1, TB4, TB2, SR2, HITP4, HITP1, SR1

I'VE TOLD A TALE!
Username:
Sport, bad first impression or misunderstanding, obtain a specific object, one/both of you is/are already dead, friendly
Solo Link: I'm doing the solo outline version.
It's about a football player who recently died. He had a chain around his neck as a reminder of his father, who was important to him. His family is desperately searching for it, but it is nowhere to be found. As a ghost-like figure, the now dead football player has the opportunity to help his family search in places they can't get. In desperation he goes to see his best friend. After the initial shock and the realization that he was now a ghost, he found his necklace in his friend's bedroom. It looked as if he had stolen it, but it turns out to be completely different. He has to find a way to communicate with his family.
Score: The rules said 1 ticked. (:
word count: 210
Astoria

Post by Astoria »

I'VE TOLD A TALE!
Solo Link: AU Solo
word count: 18
Astoria

Post by Astoria »

LET'S ROLL!
Prompt Results: 2, 4, 5, 4
superpowered
resolve a disagreement
a natural disaster
one of you is a time traveler
Finale Prefs: TB4, TB2, SR2, HITP4, HITP1, SR1
Dice rolls
[2, 4, 5, 4] = 15
] = 15
Last edited by Astoria on Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 33
Fasti
Pebbles: 1,561.72 Pebbles
Kin Journal: https://matope-swamp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3190

Post by Fasti »

I DREW A DOODLE!
Username: Fasti
Image: Part 1

Part 2 comming soon
Score: The rules said 1 Ticket for 1 scribble so its +1 Ticket (:
word count: 52
doomsayer
Pebbles: 1,850.94 Pebbles

Post by doomsayer »

LET'S ROLL!
Username: doomsayer
Prompt Results:
4 Genre: Sports
4 Goal: Resolve a disagreement
1 Complication: Minor differences build friction
2 The Twist: One or both of you is already dead
Finale Prefs:[/b] HITP4, SR1, SR2, HITP1, TB4, TB1, TB2

I'VE TOLD A TALE!
Username: doomsayer
Prompt Results: Up there
Solo Link: A Spirit of Youth
Score: I think that's worth 3.
Dice rolls
[4, 4, 1, 2] = 11
] = 11
Last edited by doomsayer on Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 66